fr  |  en  |  514-647-8541  |
Belvedere - Montreal Relocation Agency

Belvedere Blog

Westmount Real Estate Market

The spring real estate market is in full swing.  If you take a quick drive around Westmount, you will see quite a few for sale signs.  While the headlines around the globe describe various real estate meltdowns, or slow downs, Canada generally, and Westmount in particular has not suffered the same ill fate.  To the contrary, the real estate market is quite hot with decreased inventory pushing prices up.  A good source of detailed data on the market is made available by Andy Dodge, a local real estate appraiser.  He contributes regularly to the local paper, The Westmount Examiner, and you can also visit his website.   Suffice it to say, that owning a home in Westmount is becoming increasingly difficult as prices continue to climb.  However, this upward trend is proof that investing in Westmount real estate is a safe bet, if you can afford it.  

Importing your vehicle


Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

Moving your physical goods into Canada is a central part of every relocation.  Getting your car over the border and duly registered can be a bit complicated depending on the age of your vehicle and other factors.  The following links contain valuable information about what you need to know.  If you have additional questions drop us a line or you can also ask  your mover.  


Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)


The following link provides important imformation about regulations for importing your vehicle into Canada:


Transport Canada


Transport Canada has a number of regulations regarding the importation of personal motor vehicles into Canada, particularly vehicles that are less than 15 years in age. To be eligible for importation, they must comply with Canadian safety and emission standards.


Check whether your vehicle qualifies for importation under Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicle (RIV) Program


In addition to the proper certification from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, you will also need to produce your title documents (ownership certificate), sales receipts, registration and proof of insurance documentation.




US Customs requires notification of all vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:

The required documentation must be submitted to US Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

The vehicle must be presented to US Customs at the time of export.

US Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.

US Department of Homeland Security: Exporting a Motor Vehicle